Gov. Richard Bennett
- Born: Abt Aug 1609
- Marriage: Mary Anne Langworth
- Died: 12 Apr 1675, Nansemond, Virginia about age 65
Probably associated with Richard Bennett.
"Mr. William Pierce" was Captain of Governor Wyatt's Guard and Lieutenant Governor at James City in 1629. He was an Ancient Planter having come over with Sir Thomas Gates in 1609, also was a member of the Virginia Council in 1631. Captain Pierce owned land both upon Lawne's Creek and Mulberry Island. In 1628, one Lieut Thomas Flint received a grant of 1,000 acres two upon the Southern Shore of Warwick River (Mulberry Island) adjacent to land patented by John Rolfe, Esq., deceased, and Capt William Pierce. (C & P, p 9) Jane Pierce, daughter of Captain Pierce, was the third wife of John Rolfe, whose first wife was the celebrated Pocahontas. On June 22, 1635, Capt William Pierce, "one of the Council of State," patented 2,000 acres upon Lawne's Creek near the land of William Spencer. ( C & P., p 29) This creek was the dividing line between Surry and Isle of Wight. Pierce's Creek which flows into Lawne's Creek was evidently named after him. In 1640 Capt William Pierce of Mulberry Island conveyed fifty acres on Lawne's Creek adjacent to William Spencer (C&P., p 147)
Bennett’s Plantation situated on the Rock Wharf on the present Burwell’s Bay, was patented 11/21/1621 by Edward Bennett, a rich London merchant in partnership with his brother, Robert Bennett, and his nephew, Richard Bennett. Richard Bennett became the first Puritan governor of VA in 1652. Thomas Bennett must have come to America before 1624, prior to Governor Bennett’s arrival. Source: The Mangums of VA, NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, TN, ARK, TX, UT, by John T Palmer, PhD, Santa Rosa, CA 95409 p. 3
The Bennetts came to America on the “Sea Flower” in 1622. *Source: The Mangums of VA, NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, TN, ARK, TX, UT, by John T Palmer, PhD, Santa Rosa, CA 95409 p. 3
Richard Bennett (1625-1709) of Isle of Wight was probably a son of Thomas and Alice Bennett who were residing on the south side of the James River near Lawne’s Creek in 1624. *Source: Seventeenth Century Isle of Wight Co, VA, by John Bennett Boddie p.289
Thomas Bennett was a Member of the House of Burgesses as he represented Mulberry Island in 1632 *Source: (Burgess Journals 1619-59, p. xiii
Thomas Bennett was born in Wilvescombe, Co., Somerset, England, and died in Virginia after 1632, having come on the Neptune in 1618, a member of the House of Burgesses from Mulberry Island in 1632. *Source: Wurt’s Magna Charta, John S. Wurts, Germantown, PA, 1947, p. 2133
Thomas Bennett was an immigrant from England. He is claimed in 1635 as a head right by Richard Bennett who later became the governor of the Virginia Colony in the 1650's. The 1624 muster roll of the Virginia Colony identifies two Thomas Bennett's one with wife Mary and the other with wife Margery. One of these was the mother of Thomas' son Richard Bennett. Thomas Bennett resided near Lawne's Creek on the South side of the James River in 1624. He was a member of the House of Burgesses representing Mulberry island in 1632.
The second wife of our Thomas Bennett was Alice Pierce, widow of Thomas Pierce. Thomas Pierce was the Sergeant at Arms of the first legislative assembly of Virginia which met on 07/30/1619. He had arrived on the "William and Thomas" which sailed for Virginia in August of 1618. This ship was a "magazine ship", containing supplies for the colony. He apparently traveled with his wife Alice and daughter Elizabeth. Thomas appears to have been a relative of Lt. William Pierce, of the Seaventure (1609), who served under Yeardly, Captain of the Governor's Company of soldiers. Later William Pierce was Lt. Governor in 1629 and a member of the Virginia Council in 1631. His daughter Jane Pierce was the third wife of John Rolfe. Thomas Pierce established the next plantation south of Martin's Hundred along the upper side of the James River. On 03/22/1621/2 the Indians attacked throughout the colony. Thomas Pierce , his wife, child, two other men and a French boy were officially reported as killed at this plantation. Edward Pierce, "Merchantaylor of London" and Ann, his sister, petitioned for administration of his estate on 10/02/1622. However, Alice and her daughter apparently survived the attack, and it is thought they were two of the twenty captives that were ransomed from the Indians. The only other of these twenty who have been identified are Mrs. Boyce and Jane Dickenson, both widows of men slain at Martin's Hundred. These captives were held for 10 months. The colonists, unable to recapture these women by pursuit, destroyed all of the Indian cornfields in retaliation, reducing the Indians and their captives to starvation. Chanco, the Indian convert, who had given the alarm to Jamestown in advance of the Indian attack, negotiated the release of the captives, in return for promises that the Indian fields would not be destroyed and for beads given in trade.
By 10/10/1624 Alice had married Thomas Bennett. She was a witness against John Proctor for cruelty to a serving maid named Elizabeth Abbott, on 10/04/1624. Alice's daughter Elizabeth Pierce names her father-in-law Thomas Bennett in a power of attorney filed in 1624. *Source: Seventeenth Century, Isle of Wight County, Virginia; by John Bennett Boddie, Chicago Law Printing Company, Chicago.
Thomas BENNETT, and his wife Alice (Widow Pierce) were living near Lawne's Creek in Isle of Wight Co., Virginia in 1624, for on October 10, of that year she testified before the General Court in a trial of John Proctor, her neighbor charged with cruelty to his servants. At the same trial her second husband is identified as Thomas BENNETT, etc. Thomas BENNETT was born in Wivelscombe, Co. Somerset, England, having come on the Neptune in 1618, a member of the House of Burgesses from Mulberry Island in 1632. In records of Isle of Wight County, Virginia, these Land Grants are found: Richard Young, 350 acres, November 25, 1636, up the river side from the great Indian field, etc., from transportation of seven person: Henry SNEALE, Elizabeth SNEALE his wife, and Elizabeth, John, Dorothy, Alice and Mary SNEALE. The following year Henry SNAILE was granted 50 acres November 23, 1637, north on Pagan Creek, etc. Due by assignment of the right of one servant called William Taylor from Lt. John Upton. John and Elizabeth SNEALE (SNAYLE) had daughter Alice who married second Thomas BENNETT whose daughter Alice, married second John HARDY. Their son, John HARDY, Jr. married Rebecca, surname unknown and their daughter, Mary HARDY married , first, Col. John Hinton." *Source: Family Lines and Kindred Line by Adelle Harper
Reproduced from http://www.angelfire.com/ok/PeggyAGivens
Harrison/Cummings/Minge/Shands HARRISON FAMILY OF ESSEX ENGLAND AND YORK VIRGINIA WITH THE ALLIED FAMILIES OF COMINS/CUMMINGS; MINGE; SHANDS; STEWARD/STUART; GOLIGHTLY; MITCHELL, ROBARDS; PARKER AND OTHERS Extracted from "Settlers by the Long Grey Trail" – from HARRISON HERITAGE Vol. VI No. 4 December 1986.
"In addition to the James River and Prince William lines there was a "Skimino" HARRISON family that had long been settled in VA, when the valley of VA was opened for settlement. This line was founded by RICHARD HARRISON (1600-1664) born in St. Nicholas Parish, in the town of Colchester, county of Essex, England, who emigrated to VA. By 1634 when he was found paying tithes in respect to a patent of land on Queens Creek, in Skimino Hundred, Middletown, later Burton (sic) Parish, York Co. His close kinsman, Dr. JEREMY HARRISON settled near him. William married MARY HUBBARD, the daughter of MATTHEW HUBBARD, a renowned planter who was affiliated with NICHOLAS COMINS and his family, and had among others, William II (1675-1727) who married ANNE RADLIFFE. William II in turn had a son William III (1705-1771) who married MARGARET MAUPIN and had a son William IV, embraced his wife's faith and in 1817 sold his Queen's Creek property and removed (via Winchester, the Cumberland Road, Wheeling etc.) to near Mt. Pleasant, Ohio, a VA settlement of Quakers.
His eldest son SAMUEL JORDAN HARRISON (1771-1846) settled in Lynchburg, VA. William, another son of William IV, followed his brother to Lynchburg. See Aris Sonis Fosisque, "The Harrisons of Skimino" by FAIRFAX HARRISON. 4-84 "DR. JEREMIAH (JEREMY) HARRISON and his brother JOHN, sons of SYDNEY HARRISON of St. Runwalds Parish, Colchester, England." Extract from COLONIAL GRANVILLE COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE "Loose Leaves from "THE LOST TRIBES OF NORTH CAROLINA," Compiled and Edited by WORTH S. RAY., pp. 252- "FROM "THE SKIMINO HARRISONS" (p.5). We know that RICHARD HARRISON (1620-1664) (sic), the immigrant, was born in St. Nicholas Parish in the town of Colchester, Essex, but when and under what circumstances he came to Virginia we do not know. The earliest record of him in Virginia is of his paying tithes in 1634 in respect of a patent of land on Queen's Creek, in Middletown (afterwards Bruton) Parish, York County. His plantation lay within the limits of Skimino Hundred and for nearly two hundred years the Skimino spelled home to his family. His estate shows he was a man of substance, and in addition to himself and his wife ELIZABETH BESOUTH he brought into the Colony eight persons.)
CAPT. THOMAS HARRISON was another one of the name who settled on Queen's Creek in York County. He is supposed to have been a seaman and Master of the ship HONOUR which belonged to Col. William Pryor, a member of the Court of York County and who was otherwise prominent. On Jan 11, 1641/2 he bought 200 acres in the parish and county of York from Capt. William Brocas and Daniel Dickinson for 4000 pounds of tobacco--he and Capt. Thomas Harwood and Richard Bennett, Esq. On Jan 25, 1646. Col Pryor, in his will, also mentions his brother in law, Jasper Clayton and his daughters Margaret and Mary Prior, leaving to the former "my whole part of the ship HONOUR, command by Capt. Thomas Harrison.
The following interesting item is taken from WILLIAM AND MARY MAGAZINE, Vol. 23: "Whereas,FRANCIS WHEELER, of London, Merchant, bound for Virginia, on the ship HONOUR with CAPT. THOMAS HARRISON, he (Francis Wheeler) being servant (in the service) of Mr. John White, of London, Grocer, WHEELER & WHITE, appoint Anthony Stanford, faster for William Allen, a merchant, agent to trade goods in the event Wheeler should die." Date, Sept. 16, 1640." Another Item dated Jan 30, 1646: "Tobacco to be delivered to William Allen, merchant in London by Capt. William Brocas, Esq. And wife Mary, to THOMAS HARRISON, Master of the ship HONOUR." FRANCIS WHEELER married ELEANOR after the death of NICHOLAS COMINS) and became the step-father of ELIZABETH COMINS the wife of ROBERT HARRISON; and Capt. William Brogas sold lands in York County to CAPT. THOMAS HARRISON. Col ROBERT BURTON, of Granville County, whose mother was TABITHA MINGE, was the grandson of MARY HUNT who married ROBERT MINGE son of JAMES MINGE and AMADEA HARRISON. (Daughter of ROBERT HARRISON and ELIZABETH COMINS), and after the death of ROBERT MINGE, she married WILLIAM ALLEN, whose sister JUDITH ALLEN married NOEL HUNT BURTON, grandfather of Col. Robert. Considering the above, we have listed the following Harrisons who settled on Queen's Creek in York County
Richard married Mary Anne Langworth.